A View From Over The Scales

Friday, November 10, 2006

Glucose levels dropping

It has been a bit of a while since I posted.

I have spent much of the time getting my head around what diabetes is, how I have to manage it and ensuring that it is not what is going to define me.

I have spent 10 days on a low dose medication to see how I would react with it, and so far the news is good. I have dropped my glucose levels a fair way, but there is certainly room for improvement.

I noted over the last couple of weeks that my vision was not up to par, so I went to the optometrist. Good news is that there is no damage to the retina (no bleeds, no scarring) and I am clear of glaucoma and cataracts. The correction is probably due to age. This morning I got very concerned. Even with the reading glasses, I could not read much on the page. I have to admit to a small degree of panic as my vision has always been good. Off to the optometrist again, and another set of pictures and comparing to last week. No change.
All he could put it down to was the diabetes.

I had an appointment with Dr Hyper to follow up on a blood test. This test looked at the blood sugar levels and would show the average over 3 months. Good news! It seems to be that we have caught this in the short term, prolly a month or so after the glucose spiked.

What does this all mean???

Well, blood sugar levels are being stabilised, which means that I can continue with the gastric banding some time soonish, and all the advice that I have got is that when I lose the weight, there is a high probability that the diabetes will not be an issue for me in the future. I can only hope that is true, and redouble my efforts to get the weight off.

This morning I was lower than whale excrement, tonight, back to my usual self.

More soon.








Tags:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home