A View From Over The Scales

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

The phone call I really did not "want" to get....

Well,

I am a bit lost for words right now.

About 30 minutes ago I got a phone call from Dr MOF! That is at 10pm at night for those of you not in Australia.

Calls from doctors at that time of night are not going to be good news, particularly when they start with, "Did you get a blood test today?" and "How are you feeling?"

It seems he received a phone call from the pathology lab and advised that my BSL (Blood Sugar Level) was very high. Bloody hell! High was not the word.

I feel ok in myself… alert, full of beans, and then this news… “It would seem you have diabetes”…. “FAAAARK”

And you know something; I know he was genuinely concerned for me…. Thanks Dr MOF, your concern touched me, and I really appreciate it.

On the other hand, I guess to some degree I would have to say that it is not unexpected. I should have got off my butt ages ago to lose weight.

Now I will have to go to my doctor first thing in the morning and get a referral to an endocrinologist. {(EN-doh-krih-NAH-luh-jist) a doctor who treats people who have endocrine gland problems such as diabetes}

Yup, the big D. I was moving down the line of gastric banding to avoid this problem!

I am so bloody annoyed (three times now I have had to edit this text to delete the swearing).

I rang and spoke to Sirromnor, a close friend who has been diabetic for 5 or more years, to just vent a bit. I am so fortunate to have such good friends. He was supportive, asked if I was angry and said all of the right words.

The thing that really gets my goat is that I will have to get this diabetes stuff sorted before I get a clearance to have my surgery.

I am racking my brains trying to remember the endocrine system stuff from my training courses… What does it really matter??? I will learn more that I care to in the next few days, I am sure!

Here I am sitting at home, writing this, and using it as an avoidance technique… I do not want to go in and tell F (my wife). She has already had some bad news today about a childhood friends passing on, but I know if I do not tell her, she will feel hurt.

I take a lot of solace in the comments from Dr MOF, when he said that the banding and subsequent results would probably resolve the diabetes.

I bloody well hope he is right!

In the meantime, off to tell my beloved….






Tags:

2 Comments:

At 31 October, 2006 23:25, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry to read ur personal stuff, but i think u should take care of urself.

 
At 04 November, 2006 20:54, Blogger Mister Pervert said...

Ahoy there Rastas,

It's been several years since we last spoke -- dunno why so long?

Whatever, we once talked about playing squash and I'm still up for a (leisurely) game. Your dear ol' pal (me) is as in need of some activity as you. I no longer have your phone number, and mine has changed but, if you're up for chatting, email me: altered7th@gmail.com

Ken

 

Post a Comment

<< Home