A View From Over The Scales

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Starting at the middle...


To start with, today has been a bit of a huge day for me. It was the first real step to making a difference to me... that is my mission to lose weight.

Why is this a big day??? Because I have now really demonstrated a commitment to having what I consider to be "life saving" lap band surgery. Today was the first real appointment that I have attended on that road. Today I spent an hour with a Nurse Practitioner who discussed issues, procedures, some of the risks and expected outcomes. I have come out not really knowing how to describe the feeling of going down this path, but, I will write about it later.

I have been battling my weight problems for over 22 years now. Why am I such a FAB (Fat Arsed Bugger)?? Because I like food, I like sweet stuff, I like savoury, I like taste and for me taste means fat. I am not keen on veges or salad! No excuses this time, it is just me eating to much and most of the wrong things

How is this different this time? Well, this time it really means to some extent my life. I am 42 years of age, morbidly obese and in my mind a life expectancy of less than 50 years old.

Sure, I have done the Jenny Craig thing, the Weight Watchers thing, and many more things, and to some extent they have worked, however, when I fell off the wagon, things just got worse.

For about 6 years now, I have not stood on a scale, I had no idea how much I weighed, did not "really" want to know, but when the "normal" home scales don't work any more (they stop at well, too little for me) it just got too hard.

What got me to this stage??

I started to notice that things that you take for granted just got too damned hard. Simple things like looking at a chair to make sure it does not break when I sit on it, getting clothes that "fit", Uniform issues for work, getting in and out of a shower cubicle are just some of the things. (lets not get too icky here)

At the start of the year I now realise that a group of my friends rallied and offered to help me, one couple even offered to pay for my airfare to Morrocco if I shed enough weight to be able to sit in a airline seat and was fit enough to walk around the Medina in Fes.. Great inspiration!! One lady took it on herself be a constant guide.. I really appreciated and needed the motivation. Sure, I do know what to do, and I knew that they all were worried about me as were some work colleagues, other friends, and not the least, my parents.

To date I have lost what is estimated at 15-20kg with this support, this step will get me to a level where I can move more and exercise more... Perhaps even be fit enough to walk the thin ally's and hills of Fes.

More later.... Next: If this is the middle, where did this decision making process start??

IN the transition from one site to the next, I have copied the messages from the old one here.


Samir said...
Mabruk! Mabruk! Go for it Sidi Rastas... your will win through, inshallah
10/17/2006 1:20 AM


Suzanna said...
Good on you Rastas. As I am sure you realise, recognising you have a problem is half the battle.Looking forward to being your guide around the Fez Medina. You will love it here!
10/17/2006 1:29 AM


Renee said...
WOW!Very cool blog! I will be reading with enthusisasm.Good luck! lots of love and support in this corner...Call me anytime if you need a chat.
10/17/2006 1:57 AM


esie75 said...
Bob, I know that you can do this, you have all of our love and support :) Anne & Jeff
10/17/2006 4:42 AM


Tags:

1 Comments:

At 18 October, 2006 14:12, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forget Morocco, come with us to Gallipoli and the Western Front. Not sure when, but in the next couple of years. I'm working seriously on the requisite Lotto win.

I want to lose weight too, so that I don't snore, to be eligible to get back into the Reserve and for the same reasons as you.

Maybe we could have a race....in percentage terms?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home